Saturday, August 9, 2008

Yoga Is Boring??

As the door is closing on The Place of Carrollton Church, another door has open wide – my personal blog! And this is my first blog entry...

In the past several months, a few (just a few) students who attend Yoga classes I teach made mentioned to me that they have become “bored” with Yoga or “bored” with the type of Yoga I teach.

Ok, here was a great opportunity for me to become “offended” at their statements. If I allowed offense to come into my heart, it would only affect me – not them. So, I smiled at their comments and suggested they may need a break from Yoga or a break from the classes I teach.

There were other things I could have said to them that I believe would have nailed their feeling “bored,” but didn’t. However, I’m writing it in this blog.☺

This past weekend, I took time to really think about the comments these students made. As I mediated on their words, it became clear to me that Yoga was not what they were bored with. They were bored with their lives so to speak. There were issues in their lives and Yoga was actually trying to bring those issues to surface. And, they didn’t realize it.

You see, your Yoga mat is a mirror – a reflection of your life. If you are having challenges in your personal life – they are going to show up on your Yoga mat. Instead of breathing through the challenging poses, being present and focusing on that and only that pose at that time, your spirit, mind and body are at war with each other.

When I practice Yoga, I look at who I am and what is actually happening during my practice. When doing this, I’m constantly getting feedback from myself which I now know is pretty much accurate on what is happening in my spirit, mind and body. This in turns gives me another opportunity to learn more about myself – from being on my Yoga mat.

I could go on and on – on this topic. But, I will close with this. Yoga is life changing! Yoga is a spiritual faith building experience! Yoga is uplifting! And that’s just the beginning of what you’ll experience once you connect with your Yoga mat. Only then will you find answers to your daily challenges.

So, in your next Yoga class – whether in one of the classes I teach or another, get ready to experience a practice like never before – where it not only feels right, but it is right and not “boring.”

Write me your comments on this. Please forward me any question you might have. I will get back with you as soon as possible.

Much love,
Joseph

2 comments:

Jon said...

Thank you for starting a blog, Joseph!

Can't say that I have ever been bored in one of your yoga classes. I would agree with you that yoga is life-changing. We are always energized after attending one of your classes.

Anonymous said...

In the beginning yoga can seem very challenging or maybe NOT boring b/c you are learning things you don't know...and working your body in positions that is may not be use to. It slowly gets less 'hard' as you learn the asanas. Does that make a class boring? I don't think so. Yoga for me is a practice. It helps me get out of my mind and open my soul. My body benefits in the process. Actually, I am quite please with the fact that yoga while it doesn't seem intense I honestly can say it is the ABSOLUTE best workout I have ever experienced in my life AND I will add that my body has benefitted more from yoga than any other workout in my 35+ years. To those that feel yoga is boring...I would encourage them to open their soul. explore what's deeper within.
Namaste~