Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Yoga and Christianity

I thought it good to share my thoughts on Yoga and Christianity. These comments were shared at previous meetings I had with Christian leaders in the local community.

Almost seven years ago now, I made this drastic, faithful and much needed move out of the corporate world, into the world of physical fitness. After acquiring several fitness certifications from The Cooper Institute of Dallas, and with a genuine desire in my heart to help people get well, I ventured forward to fulfill God’s plan for me.

Then, six years ago, as a Personal Trainer, I stumbled upon Yoga, and in the process, found my destined vocation. I am now happier and healthier than ever before in my life!

To me, yoga is not an outside interest; it serves my faith completely. I have become a better person by having my body in good shape, my breathing and my mind all integrated together. As I have stated before, Yoga is not a religion. I look at Yoga as a technique that helps anybody live a well-balanced life.

I currently teach Yoga to over 800 individuals per week. Some of the students are Christians, others of the Buddhist and Hindu faith, while others are of no faith. I am for the most part the only image of “Love” (God) that they come in contact with throughout the week. And, it is because of them attending Yoga classes that I am allowed to show them the Love of God.

There are many individuals from different cultures that also attend the Yoga classes I teach – i.e. India, South Africa, South America, Mexico, Spain, Russia, France, Germany, China, and Japan. They all have stated they only come to the Yoga classes I teach because of how I make them feel, including the energy and environment within the room.

Jesus was a man for all peoples, with no distinctions. As a Jew, he taught that people should stretch beyond the rules, make it a connection from your heart. Do I need to be in a pulpit to minister to people? (I have been in the ministry since 1978 and I have been an ordained minister since 1982, pastoring a church for a while in Mississippi) No, not really. However, I do know that what I say during Yoga classes encourages the students in their daily lives – it’s my “Sermon on the Mats.”

Without a doubt, I know God has called me to the profession of teaching Yoga; yet, my biggest critic has been “the Church.” Ironically, the church could really learn from the lifestyle of those who have practiced Yoga for years. From my observation, the majority of them walk in peace, are somewhat more spiritually, physically and even financially fit than some church goers.

Much love,
Joseph

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I felt compelled to respond to your post on Yoga & Christianity. I was raised in a Christian household and was taught the importance of religion in our lives. However, as I matured, I couldn’t help but notice that religion, as it was being practiced around me, seemed to emphasize individual differences and served as a dividing barrier between people. Although they would likely have denied it, I saw those of one religion viewing other religions as wrong or naïve, while at the same time preaching about loving all people. The disconnect between the word of God and the way it was being practiced by His people disturbed me deeply. I felt that while there were certainly good people involved in my church, those people would be good with or without the religious element. As a result, I chose to distance myself from organized religion and use my yoga practice as a way to connect with my own spirituality. Through this connection, I have found the guiding force in my life.

One specific element of many religions around the area makes me quite sad. I see churches the size of college campuses, with newer and better facilities always on the horizon. Hundreds of thousands of dollars are being poured into these structures that should be used to help children or families in hard times. I simply do not understand the need for such excess. The God that I know does not need multi-level arenas to be heard.

I certainly understand that others may not agree with me, and I respect each person’s right to their opinion. I do hope that if nothing else, my words have provided you with something to think about. Namaste...