Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thought For Today - 11/15/08

There are several women who are expecting that are so faithful to the Yoga classes I teach. I have seen them practice Yoga from the very start of their pregnancy to only 1-2 days before the baby is due. I actually had one student who had begun dilating come to class. Yes, she did have the baby the next day. (smile)

I often tell these mothers the practice of Yoga and Yogic breathing can smooth the progress of a comfortable pregnancy and help them prepare for an easier and quick labor.

I have seen from personal experience the pregnant students attending classes babies are calm and generally will not cry or become shy when around strangers. I call them “Yoga babies.”

I had lunch the other day with a Yoga student who had just recently had her second child. The first was a boy and this one was a girl. Kara is her name and she is adorable! So, we’re there having lunch. I’m talking and Kara looks at me every time I speak. Her mother Stacey says hey, how about holding Kara. I said sure. She came right into my arms and begins to smile (I could have held her all day).

Stacey went onto say Kara is a mama’s girl and generally cries when in someone else’s arm if she (Stacey) is around. As I began to talk to Kara – she is smiling. Stacey then says Kara knows my voice. Stacey practiced Yoga 1-3 times per week when she was expecting and was still doing head stands way into her third trimester.

As Stacey made the statement about Kara knowing my voice – I then remember others “Yoga babies” reacted the same as they heard my voice when their mothers would bring them to or near me.

Writing all of the above to say this – our bodies go through many changes such as pregnancy, shifts from emotional changes or stress. With all the changes, there is a practice of Yoga suitable for each change. As you go about your weekend – listen to your body like you have never before. It is changing. Take notice.

Much love,
Joseph

No comments: