Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thought For Today - 10/21/08

On a weekly basis I get questions from Yoga students regarding meditation such as how do I begin a meditation practice. One of the main things I generally tell them they have to do is “focus". Most Yoga students have challenges with their “breath” during class. But, talking about the “breath” during Yoga asana can be another blog.

Back to meditation. I tell the students there is nothing mystique about meditation. I tell this especially to the Christian Yoga student. Meditation is used through out the Bible. Meditation is used through out many religions. I tell students meditation is one of the most natural of our human abilities that was given to us by God.

Meditation takes you to the “present.” You are not thinking or questioning the past or looking toward the future, but simply being “present.” This is the real meaning of meditation.

I tell students to find one and only one thing to place their focus or attention on. Bringing their focus or attention on what is significant to them at that moment or time they have set aside.

When our mind is able to focus on what is significant to what is happening at the present, we experience ourselves as being at one with what we see. Only then will you experience meditation in the true state (my interpretation), which is joyful and wonderful. It actually can bring you into a full and complete life experience.

Much love,
Joseph

No comments: